DEFACTO AND SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS
At Hearty & Tam Family Lawyers Perth we recognise that relationships come in all shapes and sizes and the breakdown of a family relationship requires sensitive family law advice.
We will work with you to achieve positive outcomes in de facto and same-sex relationship couple related matters.
Following changes to the law, certain couples in de facto and same-sex relationships enjoy many of the same rights and obligations of married couples, especially in relation to children and property.
To determine whether a de facto relationship exists (including same-sex relationship couples) the court is required to consider the following factors:
- The length of the relationship.
- Whether they lived in the same residence.
- The nature and extent of their common residence.
- Whether there has been a sexual relationship between them.
- The degree of financial dependence or interdependence, and any arrangements for financial support between them.
- The ownership, use and purchase of their property (including property they own individually).
- The degree of mutual commitment by them to a shared life.
- Whether they care for and support children and
- How their relationship as a couple is perceived by others.
Hearty & Tam Family Lawyers can advise you on your rights if your de facto or same-sex relationship has broken down.You can expect personal and practical advice suited to your needs.